Safety Officer Training Class
There is no Safety Officer Training Class scheduled.
Why should you become a Safety Officer?
First and foremost, you should be aware that IDPA is a 100% volunteer sport. Were it not for the small dedicated group of volunteers, we would not have the sport we all enjoy. This small group generously donates their time and money to come out and setup our matches and then they turn around and work as Safety Officers during the actual match. We all agree that they do a great job, but we need more people to get involved so these few don’t get burned out.
Taking the Safety Officer training class has many tangible benefits. By completing this class you get:
- Gratification that you are giving something back to a sport that you enjoy
- An understanding of how to keep the sport’s excellent safety record in tack
- The ability to start your own IDPA club should you desire to do so
- The ability to run the official classifier
- A much better understanding of the rules and how to apply them
- Improvements to your game through shared experience with other SO’s (even if you never hold the timer)
Getting certified as an SO does not obligate you to anything.
Here is how the course works:
- Saturday morning lecture – 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
- At noon you take the certification test (which you must pass) 12:00 – 12:30 pm
- Lunch (bring your own or go to the SRGC club house) 12:30 – 1:00 pm
- Saturday afternoon you will SO several of the Sunday stages under the watchful eye of the instructor and other senior SOs (This is where the real learning is.) – 1:00 – 4:00 pm
- Sunday, you will SO a squad under the watchful eye of our senior SOs
So, it is a two day commitment, but you will enjoy every minute of it.
In order to attend the SO training class, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a member of the National IDPA organization in good standing
- Must have participated in at least 3 IDPA matches
- Be classified in at least one divison
The cost for the class is $30.00 and includes the course materials and match fee for the Sunday match. If you are interested in please complete the form below and I’ll add you to the list.
Safety Officer Instructor